For Tuesday, September 20, please do the following:
(1) Watch the remake of Clash of the Titans
(Louis Leterrier, 2010), taking notes as you see
fit. In addition to the DVD being reserved at the library, the film is
also streaming on Amazon. You might wish to consider the ways in which the film improves upon — or attempts to improve upon — the original.
(2) Read Chapter 2, "Principles of Film Form" in Looking at Movies, pp. 35–63. Here you'll explore issues such as form and content, realism and antirealism, and cinematic language writ large.
(3) Read my 2015 essay on the motif of figurines in Clash '81, which, in addition introducing you to how I think about movies, and hopefully saying something interesting about the original film, might also provide you with a point of contrast between the original and the remake.
(4) Read thoroughly the Analysis page of our website and note any questions. I've tried, on this page, to detail the assignment and its objectives with clarity.
(5) Remember by noon on Tuesday to comment on this post with your choice of a sequence from Clash '10 to view in class. The guidelines for your comment (in essence, 3-4 sentences) are found under the "Class participation" section of our Syllabus page.