For Thursday, October 13, please do the following:
(1) Watch the following episodes from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, widely acknowledged as being among the TV series' best:
- (2.8) "The Other Side" (George Mendeluk, 1995);
- (5.3) "Resurrection" (Philip Sgriccia, 1998); and
- (6.8) "Full Circle" (Bruce Campbell, 1999).
(2) Read the excerpts from Chapter 2 ("Mythconceptions") of Gideon Nisbet's book, Ancient Greece in Film and Popular Culture (Liverpool University Press, 2008). Nisbet is that rare scholar who offers more than a descriptive appraisal of H:TLJ, and his analyses here will help us make sense of Hercules in the 90s and beyond.
(3) Remember by noon on Thursday to comment on this post with your choice of sequences from TWO of the three episodes to view in class.